This post includes affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, I might get a small commission for it at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Upcyle This DIY That!
If you’re looking for a small but powerful saw that’s able to do all kinds of DIY work, this is the one you should go for. It’s versatile, great for any type of cuts from ripped to cross cuts and even plunge cuts.
Its compact size and small weight mean that it’s very portable and useful in tight spaces and, most of all, it’s easy to use. Ease of use is one of the most important aspects for me since I only have little time for my projects, and I don’t want to spend most of it setting up my power tools.
So if you are just starting with power tools, this one might not be as “scary” as any of the traditional circular saws. This saw constantly gets excellent reviews and is often one of the best sellers on Amazon. Please have a look at my full Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut Circular Saw review below.
- Powerful, 4.0 amp, multi-functional, ultra-compact circular saw
- Cuts wide variety of materials such as tile, wood, sheet metal, plastics, flooring, and more
- Ergonomic design with slim grip handle improves comfort and enhances grip and control – guide with just one hand
- Built-in laser guide helps you align the perfect cut
- Pivoting metal guard accommodates safe and easy plunge cuts
Considering the size of this tool, and 4 Amp motor you get good results. The blade spins up almost instantly and does a pretty good job. You obviously can’t expect results like using an 18 Amp sidewinder or worm-drive but this tool is powerful enough to cut through all kinds of materials.
This saw is very well made. It’s easy to control although some users complain that that handle might be too big for someone with smaller hands and the trigger safety feature can be tricky to use. Its relatively small weight means that it can be used just with one hand without causing any fatigue to the holder. While this is true it can be a little more tiring when using vertically.
Because of it worm-drive like construction the blade is positioned on a left-hand side which makes it easier to see your cut line. To make things easier it’s also equipped with a laser for more accurate cutting.
Safety Plunge Design
Although some people might find this particular feature annoying this design allows for plunge cuts which in the case of any other circular saws are impossible to make. It takes some getting used to though and because the foot is spring-loaded with heavy spring you have to press hard to expose the blade for cutting. It is a different way of applying a safety feature, rather than having a guard.
Dust collection – this saw has got a dust collection attachment which makes it virtually dust-free but even without a vacuum attached the dust is pretty manageable. This saw is surprisingly quiet. If you can say that about saws. The blade cutting material makes more noise than a tool itself.
Some helpful tips from other users:
- For plunge cuts, be sure to get the blade up to full speed–pressing the trigger–before touching the wood
- Remember that the VersaCut will not start cutting until you press the faceplate down onto/into the surface to be cut (make sure you set the depth correctly–for plunge cuts, consider setting for the max of 1 1/16″)
- For a clean exit from a plunge cut, carefully pull straight out of the cut while the blade is still spinning–if you stop the blade while still in the cut, you might get a jump causing an uncontrolled cut.
Overall this is a great tool within its price range. It would make a fantastic addition to any power tool collection. Because it’s very versatile, lightweight and easy to use it’s not so intimidating and scary as its big, bulky brothers. But you should keep in mind this is not a full-size worm drive so you cannot expect it to be able to do the same job.
Although it can’t do bevel cuts and wouldn’t be able to cut 2x4s this is not what it was designed for. If you after those features you should check another Rockwell saw: RK3441K Compact Circular Saw Kit. I would recommend it to anyone being a newbie or experienced DIY-er.
Subscribe To My FREE DIY Newsletter!
Stay in touch and receive things like updates, special offers, new projects, tips, gear reviews, and more. No spam, promise!